Our first efforts to connect people with the outdoors focused on getting our most-deserving injured and wounded military veterans outdoors--on Veterans Day, just to make it a bit more
special, as we worked to let them know how much their service and sacrifice is appreciated--and respected.
- 2014 OACFund Miami Fishing Event--Six young veterans, recruited through "Hope for the Warriors" organization (www.hopeforthewarriors.org) traveled to Miami for an all-expenses paid offshore fishing trip with some of South Florida's top sportfishing
- 2015 OACFund Miami Fishing Event--we more than doubled the number of veterans participating in the 2nd annual event, working with "Team Red, White and Blue," (www.teamrwb.org) and added two more captians and boats, two lady vets and veterans from the Viet Nam era.
- 2016 OACFund Miami Fishing Event--Five vets turned out for the 2016 event and caught some great fish, in perfect conditions and had an experience to write home about. Vets
were once again Eagles from Team, Red, White and Blue. This year was a one day event but, like previous years, it culminated in good fishing, a great fish fry with their freshly caught fish and lots
of commaraderie, jokiing, smiles and pictures.
- 2017 OACFund Vetertans Indian River Fishing Event--Three Team RWB vets got one-on-one guides as they spent a fun half-day fishing out of Sebastian FL on the Indian River. Spring
winds forced a date change and fewer vets than originally planned attended. But they got personal attention from three experienced and knowledgable boat captains who volunteered to take them out.
Everyone caught fish. Everyone laughed. It was a great inaugural event.
- 2017 and beyond--Stand by...we're planning another great event in Miami on Veterans' Day in 2017 and planning on this being an annual event...as long as we can make it
happen. We're also exploring a similar event on the West coast of Florida and looking into fishing events for Florida's famous largemouth bass. We held our first OACF Veterans Indian River
Fishing Event for speckled seatrout and redfish. In addition, we have our sights set on some hunting events for our vets who want to pursue deer, turkeys and wild hogs; we may even be able to throw
some duck hunting into the mix.